I personally have never been a big mouthwash fan. That is, until a few months ago when I had a wisdom tooth pulled & a bunch of other dental work done at the same time. The thing is, with my condition I can’t do sodium AT ALL & so a salt water rinse was out of the question.
Now, I knew I need to rinse with something & didn’t want wanted to use the chemical laden mouthwashes. So being the “Oily” Lady that I am, I decided made my own. The rinse I made not only QUICKLY helped my mouth heal, but has done wonders for my gums & overall oral health. I have been hooked ever since & have had none of the issues I was having before( bleeding gums & teeth sensitivity). So I wanted share this Essential Oil Mouthwash recipe with you! It’s super simple & extremely versatile to accommodate your tastes & oral care needs.
ESSENTIAL OIL MOUTHWASH
- 1 16 oz. glass amber jar or mason jar (be sure to store in a dark cabinet if using a regular jar. Light exposure causes oils to oxidize & loose their therapeutic qualities)
● 2 cups distilled or purified water (to reduce bacteria & toxins such as chlorine, fluoride & countless others lat lurk in tap water)
● 1 tsp. Xylitol (optional, for sweetness)
● 2 tsp. Calcium carbonate powder ( optional, use for a remineralizing rinse)
● 15-20 drops essential oil
■ Essential Oils that Support Oral Health: Thieves, Cinnamon Bark, Melaleuca (Tea Tree), Lemon, Oregano, Clove, Rosemary, Thyme & Basil.
■ Freshening Oils (great for bad breath): Peppermint, Wintergreen, Spearmint, Lemon, Orange( can help whiten as well) & Citrus Fresh.
Here are the ones I used in my last mixture:
Wintergreen oil: It’s has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic & disinfectant properties. Because of its ability to kill odor-causing bacteria, it helps freshen your breath.
Peppermint oil: It has Analgesic, antibacterial, anticarcinogenic, anti-inflammatory antiseptic & antiviral properties. It’s an invigorating oil with potent antioxidants, which inhibits bacteria that causes tooth decay.
Clove oil: It has strong anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antimicrobial, anti-fungal, antiseptic & antiviral properties. It may also help relieve other pain from toothaches,ulcers & other oral aliments.
Thieves Essential Oil: A blend of Clove, Cinnamon Bark, Rosemary and Lemon essential oils. It’s antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-infectious, anti-parasitic, a strong antiseptic, antiviral & an immune stimulant. Thieves gives you a powerhouse of oral support your mouth needs.
1) Make sure to boil the container or jar you’re going to use, in order to kill any bacteria.
2) Put your dry ingredients in the bottle first (if using the optional dry ingredients)
3) Then add the essential oils to the powders (this helps disperse the essential oils throughout the mixture so they don’t just sit on top).
4) Add your distilled or purified water to the bottle & shake well to combine and dissolve.
5) Shake before each use to help disperse the oils. Now rinse away into healthier teeth & gums.
If you found this page helpful, it would really mean a lot to me and my family when you decide to order your own essential oils, please use my distributor #10500953 at www.youngliving.com